Our mission and strategy
Our mission is to help people do more, feel better, live longer.
The business is focused around the delivery of three strategic priorities which aim to increase growth, reduce risk and improve our long-term financial performance. These priorities are: grow a diversified global business, deliver more products of value, and simplify the operating model.
Operating responsibly and ensuring our values are embedded in our culture and decision-making helps us better meet the expectations of society.
Grow a diversified business
We have been creating a more balanced business and product portfolio, capable of delivering sustainable sales growth.
This is centred on our business areas of Consumer Healthcare and Pharmaceuticals.
In March 2015, our parent company acquired Novartis’s vaccines business (excluding influenza) and combined our Consumer Healthcare businesses to create a new company globally.
- Successful launch and commercialisation of new products from our pipeline
- Consolidation of our new route to market structure
- Delivery on our Africa 2020 Vision
- Look for further opportunities to increase focus and optimise value of our product portfolio
Deliver more products of value
Our Africa 2020 strategic action plan seeks to transform healthcare access in Nigeria by ensuring that four out of every five Nigerians have access to and use a GSK medicine by the year 2020 regardless of where they are located or their ability to pay.
Simplify the operating model
As our business continues to change shape, we are transforming how we operate so that we can reduce complexity and become more efficient.
This frees up resources to reinvest elsewhere in the business.
Being a responsible business is central to our strategy, and how we deliver success is just as important as what we achieve. Ensuring our values are embedded in our culture and decision-making helps us better meet the expectations of society.
- Collaborated with partners to accelerate development of Ebola vaccine candidate.
- Delivered global roll-out of new sales force compensation approach.
- Launched Nigerian chapter of the new Africa strategy to reach 80% of the Nigerian population by 2020.
- Partnered with organisations in meeting needs of the less privileged.
- Launched a new Patient Access Initiative aimed at providing access of medicines to far reaching suburban and rural areas.
- Continue to enhance governance, compliance and quality through proactive risk management and quality-led culture.
- Deliver new commercial model globally by changing the way we work with HCPs.
- Improve leadership effectiveness and quality of talent.